Author Topic: cross country  (Read 7772 times)

Steve Clarke

• Forum Member
cross country
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
Hi all,
  Just a reminder that this Sunday ( 24th ) is the first of the cross country season. It's at Blean Woods in Rough Common starting at 11am . Any needed info please feel free to contact me in one of the usual ways. Today is Wed and my lap top will be going in for it's yearly check up so i will be off line for a few days.

Steve Clarke

• Forum Member
Re: cross country
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »
i have asked Ed to put up details of next cross country. Basically meet at Barbara's at 9am on the 14th in order so we car share to Swanley park. 

Steve Clarke

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:56:33 PM »
I have details of the Kent cross country championships juniors, seniors and vets. Fell free to contact me for details

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 06:29:21 PM »
Hi Steve - I've not got a mail re cross country, but I'll add a wider note to the front page. Likewise, if you send me details of the Kent XC champs, I'll list those as well.
Ta!

Steve Adelsberg

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 06:08:48 PM »
Steve, I was rather disappointed with the number of club runners turning out for the first of the XC races at Canterbury. As you know we need a certain number of runners to ensure we gain maximum points. I was hoping to see more smiley faces, hopefully there will be more keen members at the forthcoming XC events. I was personally very pleased with my position in the results, bearing in mind my previous ailments. As an add on, please accept my apologies and those of Nigel Cook as we shall be unable to attend the next XC race at Swanley due to the fact we are racing in a half marathon at Bargemon, near Nice, France that same day.
We look forward to getting to the other XC races, that is as long as I am in the UK and not swaning off around Europe in my motorhome.
Keep up the good work as team captain and thanks to you, I know it's a thankless task sometimes!
Regards, Steve Adelsberg.

Steve Clarke

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 09:58:26 PM »
Hi Ed,
   i got an automated reply from my last email to you saying that you will be out of office untill 2nd Nov. Have i got the correct email address ?

Steve Clarke

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »
Hi Steve,
          I think the fact that we managed to make a complete team was great, there was 15 of us and a guest and we fulfilled the required categories. If we can get a complete team out every time it will be a big bonus especially when you consider the lack of runners we had in the last few years.We will never be able to compete with like of some of the bigger clubs who can put out 30 or 40 runners or Dartfod who put out 50 at Canterbury.
I will continue to spread  the word and have actually  managed to get some of the new members to come along. Those new members that came along last time enjoyed themselves so fingers crossed.
Your ever trying captain
                Steve.

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »
Hi Steve (Clarke!), I've sent you a mail with my home email address.

If we keep raising the profile of the cross country, gentle reminders on here and in the news etter, hopefully the numbers will pick up and be able to have a full scoring team in more races than last year.

Steve Clarke

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:25:33 PM »
Yes Ed you are right, we know its not every ones cup of tea but its another chance to all meet and catch up as well as have a bit of fun doing something different. One may even be as lucky as Donna and come away with a bottle of wine which was won in the raffle afterwards. ;D

p.s. Photos of sunday night look great.

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »
I did them when I first joined the club and its a great way of getting to know more people.  It also doesn't matter whether you are at the pointy end of the field or the back :)

Steve Clarke

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »
Hi all,
       Just a quick reminder that we will meet at Barbara's at 9am sunday morning for the next xcountry meet which will be at swanley at 11am . We can also meet you there. i have details if needed. ;D

Steve Clarke

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 09:53:24 PM »
Hi all,
       well done to all who attended the last meet at Swanley. It was quite slippery was'nt it Sarah!. Looking forward to Fowlmead on the 28th. Remember, if you need a lift feel free to contact me. ;D

Steve Clarke

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »
Think it will have to be full thermals on Sunday, that includes long johns! Hope to see lots of you there. If it snows and is cancelled we try to let you all know in time.

Steve Adelsberg

• Club Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
Now that was real cross country at Fowlmead on Sunday. Running in snow with all the obvious hazards along the way. It sorted the men from the boys and ladies from the girlies. I honestly thought the race was going to be terrible, but once my hands hands had warmed up it was great fun. Not at the time of course, these thoughts come at the end, well about ten minutes after the finish after my brain defrosted. Seriously, for those of you who do not run in the XC series, please give it a go, it is so much fun and varied due to the number of venues. Thanks Steve for keeping the team together and lets hope Noel gets over his injury in time for Knole Park.

John Cooper

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 07:08:07 PM »
I think it is also important to remember that there were other members that turned up and ran, but failed to finish for various reasons. I for one dropped out after falling on 4 occasions in the first half of the first lap due to compressed ice on slopes, resulting in me sustaining grazing and bruising to noth thighs and lower back meaning i have not been able to train all week. I saw a number of other runners fall and one that was going down hill and unable to take the corner resulting in them running straight into a tree. In my opinion the course was dangerous and the race should not have gone ahead on that course. There was plenty of alternatives to amend the course to a flatter course taking out the dangerously slippy down hill and up hill slopes. The organisers certainly did not appear to have carried out any risk assessment.