Author Topic: London Marathon Expo and London Marathon  (Read 10393 times)

Ian Lockyer

• Committee
London Marathon Expo and London Marathon
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
I am a newbie to the London Marathon and have two things to ask:

Visiting the London Marathon Expo
I recently found out that I had to visit the London Marathon Expo to register and to receive my race pack.  I don’t' fancy dong this at the weekend so if anyone wants to share a car in the week, I would be more than happy to give them a lift.

Getting to the London Marathon on Race Day.
Bit perplexed by this...was going to train this or do part car/part train.  Ideally I would have loved my family to come, but I don’t think it is fair on them to put them through an early start.  Has anyone got any advice....I have this massive nightmare of sleeping through or even worse, the trains being delayed on race day.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Ian Lockyer

fosterm

Re: London Marathon Expo and London Marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
Hi Ian, there is normally a convoy of cars that leave Thanet carrying runners and spectators which drive to Barnehurst where we all get the train to Blackheath - the runners get off here and make their way in plenty of time to their various starts and the spectators carry on to London for a McD breakfast before going to their cheering spot on the Embankment opposite the water station just after 25 miles.  I think we have a space in our car if you would like a lift?

Helen Spain

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
HI

Mark's plan sounds good.  I must admit I go up the day before and stay in a hotel.  The charity that I am running for (WCRF) hosts a pasta party on Sat eve in Baker Street - so I carbo load here before also.  Good luck!

Ian Lockyer

• Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »
Thanks for the comments Mark/Helen.

If you could spare a space for little ol me Mark, I would be more than grateful.  If you could confirm the next time I see you, that would be cool.

Thanks

Ian

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »
I'm up the night before.  It's a charity scheme run by a school in Blackheath where the parents put up a runner for the night and a pasta party is thrown in the night before at the school hall and only costs £50 - all proceeds to the school who organise it.  Someone off one of the RW threads recommended it.  I'll be going to the Expo during the week but not sure which day yet.

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:32:39 AM »
I'll probably go up on on race day itself.
As for the expo, I'll slope off work early on the Friday and pop over then. It'll be busier than the rest of the week, but I can use at an excuse for a short day!

Debbie Hatt

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »
Hi Ian - I will probably go up during the week before the marathon.  It's actually quite a fun trip, albeit a drag driving, but you get to look round lots of interesting stalls, there is generally a sports fashion show and a speaker (usually a pretty well known athlete).  At the same time they have a pasta party where you buy lunch for around £7 and can sit around and chat.  You can be as long or quick as you like there.  I got to see Will Young last year collecting his running no.!!!
I would love to accept a lift if at all possible.  I'm not sure what Sarah or Gen are doing as they are tied to work, but I'll chat with them tonight.  We could then all chip in with petrol money.  If you're running tonight we can chat then.
Thanks,
Debbie

Ian Lockyer

• Committee
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »
Hi Debbie

I think I will be looking to go up on the Thursday...going to take a day off.  Think the first day and the weekend will be busy and Friday will be a nightmare getting back with the rushour.  If there are any more Traccies that want to join me, post your comment here.

Best wishes

ian

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »
Ian

I am able to go up any day for the Expo. One thing you may not have considered is that an off peak one day travel card including tube and DLR might work out cheaper than driving when you have taken into account the cost of petrol and parking in London.

I am happy to join the Barnhurst convoy on race day and would be happy to provide a car for anybody needing a lift from the Herne Bay/Whitstable area, as long as I have somebody to follow or navigate as I get hopelessly lost when left to my own devices.

Bill

Ian Lockyer

• Committee
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 11:43:22 PM »
I will book the Thursday off and are happy to take you both up...having worked at the boatshow at Excel I know that getting there by car is quite easy.

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »
Ian

I would like to take you up on your offer please. We could also liaise with Cliff who needs somebody to pick up his pack on his behalf. I will be attending the club meeting next Wednesday, but if you need to contact me in the meantime my email is williamawright@yahoo.com

Bill

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
  • Nenikékamen Athens, Veni Vidi Vici Roma.Gorblimey
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 12:35:17 AM »
Have  a Great weekend marathon runners I shall be looking out for the club shirts on tv

inspiration video  (the lady at 4.00 mins)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=-8XSit8XyeM

Good luck, enjoy....

Rick Ryder

Helen Spain

• Club Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 02:32:11 PM »
Good luck to everyone running the London marathon next Sunday.  If anyone is on a red start - let me know and we can try to catch up at the beginning.  Helen

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 07:56:20 AM »
I'm setting off from Blue, so won't see you at the start, but have a good day!

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
Likewise, I am in blue. Good luck to all the TRACcies for Sunday. I will probably need reminding on the day as last time I got turned away for trying to get into the wrong start area. Doh!