Author Topic: The Classic Marathon To Athens  (Read 12383 times)

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
  • Nenikékamen Athens, Veni Vidi Vici Roma.Gorblimey

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
Re: The Classic Marathon To Athens
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »
flights to Athens currently £90 return? with easyjet

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
You might be lucky and pick a day when the airport staff aren't on strike or the locals are trashing the city centre.

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
Thats over reported.. like saying dont do the london marathon when the students are trashing westminster spooking camila or swinging from from the cenotaph.. or when the anti capitalists are still camping outside st pauls?
after 14 years army and 21 years prison service it would be a busmans holiday! now wheres my hard hat and flack jacket.. (did i mention £90 return with easy jet?)

Rick...

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »
I do actually fancy doing it one year.  I was thinking about entering in the 2500 anniversary year of the original marathon but the prices were astronomical.  Saying that, the course itself is meant to be brutal.  It is the one that put paid to Paula Radcliffe.  I think the course profile showed 16 miles of continual uphill...........

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »
Hello fellow TRRACies  i did my recovery run at parkrun this morning... my time reflects how much recovering i had to do!
my BA flight was delayed by two hours, i missed the pasta party, Up early the next morning i set off by coach at 0530 for the town of marathon having had only 3 hours restless sleep and hungry.. the atmosphere and organization by the greek athletic federation was top drawer... and i set off at a "i must finish this" pace... 2 hours at 20km and everything was going to plan and comfortable...then the hill and the heat bit... at 25km after taking a gel washed down with blue lucozade! everything went visually white and my legs went wobbly! i sat on the kerb to straighten my vision and my cotton wool filled head... the red jump suited medics quickly responded but i pushed on to 27km a medic said "electrolyte?" i said yes please... but i think he over done the salt content.. at 28km i cried enough.... and crossed the armco to the other carriageway where a battered police riot bus was picking up the sick lame and lazy...for the sad ride home to Athens... only 3 more kilometers and the brow of the hill was there....it was all down hill after that... it was very hard picking up your bag from the white marble rebuilt Olympic stadium as runners finished to fantastic support and bravo, bravo, ringing in your ears... my head was hanging lower than my shoulder blades... as i dragged my sorry butt back to the hotel.... i felt a fraud as Athenians called out well done and bravo...(wearing my TRRAC shirt,) kindness to foreigners is part of the Greek culture i have grown to love, i spent the next 3days in bed recovering and i still had a cotton wool filled head a week after...the wheels certainly fell off! but today's park-run was uplifting and reminds me why i run... i have unfinished business in Greece and i have a small mountain to climb....! next year i will be there.....
Rick Ryder...link to video http://www.trekandrun.com/eventreports/athensclassicmarathon/review.html

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 03:20:38 AM »
wish me luck peeps! I'm flying off to ATHENS in a few hours to settle a score with a mountain at mile 16, it looks like another hot one too, but its got to be better than all this rain!

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Best of luck mate. Nothing beats demolishing your demons. You'll nail it this time.

Steve King

• Club Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »
Hi Rick -
Totally agree with Andy.  Be patient, stay calm and run the mile you're in!

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »
Absolutely - best of luck Rick!! Not doing it wearing you Leonidas outfit, are you...?

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »
nailed it about 4.39 had a calf issue for the last 3 kliks but the awesome medal is worth the paim
thsnks for kind words of support someone up stairs looked out for me, presently eating a fstnoy nurger in macdonalds Athens airport to be washed dowm with a well earned beer

watersa

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »
well done rick all your hard training paid off

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
fstnoy nurger should have read fat-boy burger.... sausage fingers deteriorating eyesight and a small android phone keypad are the winning combination  sorry!

anyone for Rome in march?

Rick Ryder

• Club Member

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »
Thats Rome sorted! PICTURE PROOF! NEW PB http://www.fotostudio5.com/maratona_di_roma_2014?pettorale=10397

London marathon in 13 Days! does anyone need me to collect Bib for them? im going up 11am Wednesday
i will need signed sheet, letter of authorisation and photo copy of your Driving license or Passport

Rick Ryder TEXT 07777 658221