Author Topic: The Classic Marathon To Athens  (Read 12910 times)

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
  • Nenikékamen Athens, Veni Vidi Vici Roma.Gorblimey
Re: The Classic Marathon To Athens
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »

Rick Ryder

• Club Member

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »
Want to do a European marathon and this one is really tempting........... :D

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 12:31:11 AM »
Andy i must say having done Rome and Athens, Rome is the better course sights etc but to finish in that Marble stadium of Athens having run the original route and standing on the vista viewpoint of the Parthenon is awesome (during my pre race sight seeing)... I'm thinking (wife permitting!) Istanbul or Budapest next winter...but another Athens is very tempting.... easy jet approx £75 return  and leave the hotel booking to the last week...don't worry there's loads of choice i managed 4* half board £185 total for 2 x double rooms 2 nights!(shared cost with a work mate in the Dover runnig club) in the same hotel group (airotel) as organised Marathon tours used at 8 x the price (so pasta party, 0600 breakfast on marathon day and a marathon goody back, on return after marathon!) when you land at Athens seek out the Marathon information desk at the airport they provide you with a free 5 day travel voucher which will save you half the Marathon entry in local travel costs including the metro train into the city of Athens (11 euros each way) and the cost to travel the tram to the coast for the expo and registration

Athens is well organised the only fly in the ointment is bag collection... that was a nightmare this year (last Nov)

Rome is very well organised but my bargain £35 a night 2** hotel was a damp cell !
must try harder next year 4* at least!

flight to rome was £75 return via norwegian air (taking easyjet mantle as cheap euro carrier!)

anyway if you need a guide i don't need much of an excuse to go running!

Airotel Athens

http://www.airotel.gr/hotel/alexandros (best restaurant and service)

http://www.airotel.gr/hotel/parthenon (best placed for start-finish and sights!)

but book via last minute . com or hotels4u (annoying anything 4 u cupcake advert!)

Rick....

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 01:24:07 AM »

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
I have negotiated a visa from the wife to do it if I want to  :). Can you message me your email address as I have a few questions about the logistics ?  Cheers.

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »
Well I have entered now.  No turning back  ;D

Rick Ryder

• Club Member