Author Topic: Alan Green  (Read 3593 times)

Steve Adelsberg

• Club Member
Alan Green
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »
It is with deep sadness that I have heard of the death of Alan Green. Those members who knew Alan do not need me to remind them that he was quite a remarkable man. Even when he first knew of his illness he still spoke optimistically of running again as if it was his lifeline, perhaps it was. Whilst very ill he would still go for a run and we all know that lifted his spirits and one would like to think prolonged his life that little bit longer. He never appeared to be bitter about his condition and seemed to have some hidden strength to fight and go on. I am certain running or the prospect of running again kept him going and to be so strong to the bitter end.
Keep on running Alan with wings on your feet!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:23:47 PM by Steve Adelsberg »

shutlerl

Re: Alan Green
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 01:04:39 AM »
I want to echo Steve's words. Alan was always interested in people. I my case, he was always asking about my work abroad, future plans to travel etc. When Jax and I went to see him (and bought his garmin off him) last year, we had a very enjoyable chat for quite a long time. It was clear he was struggling, but as Steve says, he had an inner strength and an optimism.

From a practical viewpoint, we must also be grateful to him for stepping in and being Chairman in 2004-5 when no-one else wanted to do the job. In effect, that saved the club.

Many people knew him better than me. But even I know that we have lost someone special.

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »
I vividly remember him completing the Sport Relief Mile earlier this year at the track - it was incredibly moving to see him so happy.  Sleep well Alan you've earned your rest x

John Cooper

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
Alan was a true inspiration to us all. When he formed Thanet Roadrunners all those years ago, i am sure he never expected the club to grow and become as successful as it has today. I remember only too well when i first joined the club in 1987 the encouragement Alan gave me both in training and races. He was always willing to offer lifts to races if needed. I for one feel that Alan will be sadly missed by Thanet Roadrunners Members. Alan you were a true gentleman and it was a great privilege to have known you for so many years. R.I.P and keep running in your sleep.

John   

fosterm

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »
I can only echo everyones comments about Alan.  When we first moved to Thanet and joined the club Alan was most welcoming to us.  I have enjoyed Alans company on a few runs although sadly not many and he was always so encouraging to everyone.

Alans family has asked for no flowers to be sent and donations to be given in Alans memory to the Margate Pilgrims Hospice the club has arranged to send £250

johnaustin

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
I am probably unknown to most of the members these days but I was one of the 5 founder members of TRR back in 1982. I met Alan at the Red Lion pub in St peters after an advert in the paper looking for running companions. I had just re-started running so it was a good opportunity for me.
Memory recollects that Alan, myself, Mike Barnes, Dave Gormley and Bob Macdonald turned up and at the end of the night, alan had inspired us all to form a running club !!
Alan's enthusiam was boundless and the following week the club was 'formed', many of the faces that second night still have active participation in TRR I understand.
Alan coerced me into being race director for some years and instrumental in the Road relay series. Being in business he had contacts with shops such as John Brown Sports and Les Riggs sports and the club flourished uner his chairmanship.
I do not wish to take anything away from later members but Alan was the impetus behind TRR in it's formative years and I truly believe that his like will not be seen again within the club.
I for one will sadly miss him.
John Austin