Author Topic: Races In Cyprus  (Read 3535 times)

jenkinsg

Races In Cyprus
« on: December 15, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »
Hi everyone! Just got back from 3 weeks holiday in Cyprus and a few races to tell you about. 21st November a 10k race in Limassol About 25degrees C. Finished 31st out of 150.1st O/60 Big trophy. Back at the hotel the owner gave me a bottle of wine and put the result on the notice board. Instant celebrity status! A week later a1/2 Marathon in Pathos -Pretty hot,28C - Faded a bit after 10 miles. Mike Gratton was at a drink station there and must have jinxed me by saying "Come on Glyn, looking good!" Anyway, managed to struggle on and finished 61st out of 200plus. 1 H 45m. Very hot, loads of blisters - Just pleased to finish. 1st O/60, another trophy. Hotel boss pleased with my efforts because he had already announced that the hotel was sponsoring me! Another bottle of wine. Hoorah! The following week, a5k handicap race. 3rd fastest (20m 05s) Two days later, a Hash House trail run. Never done one before - Great fun, got totally lost!   Ran every day, Gym every day, Sun every day, Three weeks of bliss! It's been just over three years since I rejoined TRR and I would like to thank everyone in the club for their friendliness and to wish everyone good luck in 2011.
Glyn.

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
Re: Races In Cyprus
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:30:29 PM »
Well done Glyn - great results!  Be good if you can let Jackie have some pics to go to the papers with too.
Bet you're noticing the change in temperature! :D

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:53:58 AM »
Great stuff Glyn! Are the hotel sponsoring your return trip next year?!

Bill Wright

• Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 03:06:30 PM »
At one time we were thinking about retiring to Cyprus and I googled to see if there were any running clubs there but did not come up with much, so figured that it must be too hot. Glyn has answered some of my questions. Well done Glyn on your results, which would put most guys half your age to shame. If you did the Whitstable 5k parkrun in a time of 20:05 you would be in the first 3 every week.

Steve Clarke

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 11:45:42 PM »
well done Glyn,
     Thats just what we want to hear when we have snow and ice, and of course cancelled events.
  I was there myself in october and around the same temperatures, also Spencer went to Cyprus and your fellow 60's runner Brian Snead races there as well.
  Great times by the way you must be really pleased.
  Hope to see you soon.
                                 Steve.