Author Topic: Nice Work events on the horizon!  (Read 4095 times)

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
  • Nenikékamen Athens, Veni Vidi Vici Roma.Gorblimey
Nice Work events on the horizon!
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »

FOLKESTONE 1OK
SUNDAY 25TH MAY

SANDWICH 10K
SUNDAY JUNE 22ND

BEWL 15
SUNDAY 6TH JULY

HERNE BAY 10K
SUNDAY 13TH JULY

CANTERBURY HALF
BH MONDAY AUGUST  25TH

FOLKESTONE HALF
SUNDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER

http://www.nice-work.org.uk/index.php

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
Re: Nice Work events on the horizon!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
bump!

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:04:03 PM »
Rick

I did one of the Nice Works races before, the Lydd Half a few years ago. My Garmin clocked it at 12.95 miles, a sixth of a mile short. Today I ran the so called Herne Bay 10k and again they were about a sixth of a mile short. A number of people, including several TRAC members, all confirmed that the distance was somewhere between about 9.65 and 9.70 Kms. That to me is unacceptable. To a plodder like me I finished about 10 seconds outside my PB but the reality is that I was nearly 90 seconds outside my PB pace. I don't think I will bother ever running one of their races again unless they get some independent person to confirm the distance.

Bill

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 06:26:20 PM »
I tend to avoid their races wherever possible.  Usually some problems at some point during proceedings. 

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 07:26:49 PM »
Andy

I emailed Martin Burke and he told me that several people had told him the same as me, but that a number of others had made the distance exactly right. I cannot understand how. Unfortunately they seem to have taken over a lot of the best races in the area including some of my favourites such as the Folkestone Half.

Can I just add my congrats to the 5 TRAC lads who got themselves into the first 30 places, including our Newbie Dan whom I met on the day.

danrichards

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
Thanks Bill!

Definitely 9.6-9.7k. Anyone with a GPS made it that.

I was on for a PB, so actually kept going through the finish until I'd reached 10k(!). Slightly sad, but wanted to know my 'real' time (44mins vs their chip time 42:26)

I had already signed up for Mount Ephraim 10k in August, which is unfortunately another Nice Work event. You'd think they've really only got to get two things right - timing and distance.. can't be that hard?

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
I know several club members who refuse to do Nice Works events now.  Sadly not everyone is as worried about accurately measured distance and ensuring runners have enough water as TRAC. 

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »
im concerned if they are taking over well established favourites like Mt Ephraim! surely the start and finish...and route are long established? anyways.. i shall be altitude training 4 inches above sea level in greece!..... :)

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »
Having neve done the Canterbury Half... if anyone needs a lift from thanet please shout..........

Rick... 07777 658221

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »
Rick

I used to do the Canterbury Half every year when it was in May. In fact it was the first event I ever did, even before I joined TRAC. It has an absolute pig of a hill at around the 10 mile mark. You will know what to expect as you go down it on the way out. One year I did it a guy got taken away in an ambulance at that point. I will not be doing it this year for two reasons, namely I think it will be too hot for that race in August and secondly I am on holiday at that time anyway. Good luck with it.