Author Topic: Garmin - repairs and faulty products  (Read 5862 times)

Tanya Edwards

• Club Member
Garmin - repairs and faulty products
« on: June 16, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »
Has anyone else had experience of dealing with Garmin direct?

My Garmin 410 has broken after a whole 22 months of use. The hinge that attaches the strap to the watch has sheared off.

Apparently this is to be expected and is a reasonable life span of the watch according to Garmin. I know the warranty is only 12 months but surely the integrity of the watch should last a bit longer than 22 months?

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
Re: Garmin - repairs and faulty products
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »
Tanya

I have had similar problems with Garmins and I am afraid the short answer is probably YES, this is typical. I had a 210 which was dreadful, the rubber just split with sweat eating through it. You can buy little kits of replacement parts quite cheaply so that might be a way to go. Touch wood my 310 seems to be surviving a bit better.

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
  • Nenikékamen Athens, Veni Vidi Vici Roma.Gorblimey
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »
I have got to say i have only ever had good experience with Garmin customer Service, since my first motorbike mounted gps in 2006, contact them get a return number, ...worse case scenario i had a badly corroded internally forerunner not working and after a bodged repair attempt by me they charged me £50 and sent me a refurbed one which was indistinguishable from a new one, that then gave me good service and is still being used by a workmate to this day!

Garmin Freephone from UK landline: 0808 238 0000
Within UK: 0870 850 1242
Outside UK: +44 870 850 1242
Support Hours

Mon–Fri: 8:30–17:30

or online here https://support.garmin.com/support/sw/escalateForm

Good luck...

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 06:41:24 PM »
my first garmin (FR50) was great, well used for a couple of years and still useable. But I wanted a GPS one, and that's where the trouble started - battery gave up the ghost on two models. The first one (110) went in about 10 months, upgraded to a 210 which only lasted a few weeks. Forked out a few more pennies further upgrading to a 310, which is great - had that over a year now, and seems like new.
But then I dealt with the seller direct, and not Garmin, so doesn't really help!

Tanya Edwards

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
Cheers guys, its shocking that when you spend so much money on something it doesn't last long.
I'm having a lengthy argument with Garmin at the moment because i think its a bit of a cheek charging me £70 for repair. probably wont win against the might corporation but you never know! fingers crossed!

smitha

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »
Tanya,

is it something a local Jeweller could repair for far less than £70.00? Or alternatively take the other strap off the other side and wear it as a necklace!! Just a thought.

Cheers,

Ada

Tanya Edwards

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »
Garmin customer service and escalations have been utter rubbish. They have compared my watch to a t shirt and said...

"As most products can suffer wear and tear  for example, if you purchase a T-shirt after wearing many times the T-shirt will not be in the same condition as you purchased it and there is down to general wear and tear."

So there you go people, 22 months life for this product is acceptable by Garmin. In fact their opinion is anything over the standard 12 month guarantee is a bonus.

Yay well done Garmin!

P.s i'm not giving up....i'm slightly peeved about this if you hadn't noticed!

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
Try quoting the Sale of goods Act 1964 to them. That takes no notice of guarantee periods and states that all goods sold must be of a merchantable quality. Mind you, the big question is what is the expected life of one of these products? Most of these guys manufacture things now with built in obsolescence on the grounds that we will all want the new model in 12-18 months anyway and unfortunately that is the way an awful lot of folk think nowadays.

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
  • Nenikékamen Athens, Veni Vidi Vici Roma.Gorblimey
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »
Tanya, just for the record do you / did you wear the watch 24/7? i tend to only wear mine for a run, a friend wore his 24/7 and killed his strap after 18 months, im a bit rough with my day to day watches i often kill one a year! operating hammer drills the normal cause of hands falling off face..oops! diving deeper than the watch liked killed one in Greece, and prison keys/gates smashed a couple of faces!, i noted i brought my 210 (which has been superb) for £100 from a sheffield web dealer which was £40 less than list.. at the vlm expo in April they had been reduced to only £80 by sweatshop... a bargain...?

Garmin stop supporting older forerunners on web pages like Garmin connect to make them obsolete i have noted...

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »
Rick

I only wear my Garmin for runs. My experience of the 210 was the exact opposite of yours which just goes to show the "lottery" nature of them. I got a repair kit for mine to fix the strap but then the watch just packed up completely. My 310 occasionally fogs up, but apart from that I have been happy with that. I still have my solid clunky old 105 which still works fine and I keep it as an emergency spare.

Tanya Edwards

• Club Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 06:41:45 AM »
Only wore it for runs Rick,  It's not exactly a dainty ladies watch :)

The good news is I went back to Amazon who offered me a full refund without any quibble.

Still think Garmin are utter s**t so now I have to decide what to replace it with! Although in reality I'll probably end up with another Garmin grrrrrrrr!