Author Topic: Gadgets  (Read 4613 times)

sanhamr

Gadgets
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »
Iwent for a run at Fowlmeed today, didn't expect to get much done; just a nice change. Got to the car park and was getting into all my clobber, then horror of horrors, I'd forgotten not only my watch ??? :-\ but also my SAT nav. Do I go back home and get them? :-\ How will I manage not knowing; speed, HR, distance, and time.
Well I'll have you know that: I ran further; ran longer; didn't look at my wrist once; and noticed all that was going on around me. For once I ventured out the bottom gate and found some great footpaths outside of the park. I'd forgotten how much fun it was to run just for the hell of it.
 Those of you who do run and are gaget dependant, leave them at home now and again and get back the feeling of running for fun. Thinking I will now make one day a week a " Gadget free day." ;) :)

fosterm

Re: Gadgets
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »
I could not agree more Rob.  Some of my most enjoyable training runs are out on the downs with Maria. We just set off and hope to run for about 2 or 3 hours with no idea or care for how far or what pace were doing.

In fact these days I hardly ever seem to take the garmin out. ;D

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:36:43 AM »
Thirded! Sometimes it's so easy to get too hung up on the numbers, especially after a month out when i'm a bit out of shape and can't manage what was doing 6 weeks ago!

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:01:15 AM »
Fourthed!  I will be happy just to use my watch and for it to tell me I have run for 30 minutes at the moment!!  The only time I've relied on technology was back in 2005 when I relied on my Rob Sanham Metronome for a sub 4 marathon xx ;D

sanhamr

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
Thanks for that Sharon. Was it really 2005. Doesn't time fly! ::)

Bill Wright

• Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
I am exactly the opposite. I need to know exactly what I have done, how far, what time. It works as an incentive for the next time, wanting to do better than that, feeling really good if I have turned in a good time. The one concession I have made a couple of times is wearing the Garmin but not looking at it at all until after I had finished and turned it off. Like Rob I discovered that I had actually run faster than normal, so it is an experiment I am likely to repeat. I usually stick to a small selection of regular routes, so I always know the distance I have gone as I usually set out with a particular aim in mind. That's how I can drive myself on when I am not feeling up to it, I need a target all the time or it is too easy for me to wimp out early.

horsleya

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »
first time on here! I have to say that i hardly use the Garmin now. Prefer to leave it behind rather than obsess about my current pace. Useful for gauging the distance of new training runs though.

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
  • Nenikékamen Athens, Veni Vidi Vici Roma.Gorblimey
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »
If this is about £100 i may go overdrawn? but i bet as its a $300 in the states they will apply the usual rip off britain exchange  rate and it will be £300 here! http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/kit/nike-sportwatch-gps-sneak-preview/6157.html

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
  • Nenikékamen Athens, Veni Vidi Vici Roma.Gorblimey
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
to Quote "It's ludicrous to expect this watch to be priced under £100"
if you only you knew how low the manufacturing costs are in china!*.. my guess is under £15 for this watch. I think this watch will launch at £199 and be discounted by christmas to a more realistic £99 and thats my jumping in point! now if they launched at £99 that would be a real market shaker...
*(having previously imported computer cables by the thousand from china at 0.20p delivered!) Rick Ryder..