Author Topic: Can you give up 10 minutes of your time for a conversation with me?  (Read 3497 times)

Bob Wild

• Club Member
Morning all!

This is possibly the strangest request you will get today, but also one of the easiest!

At the end of June I am taking on a little race called the Thames Ring 250, which is a 250 mile, non-stop ultra...starting on Wednesday 24th June at 10am and a cut off of Sunday 2pm (about 100 hours or so). 
See http://www.thamesring250.moonfruit.com/ for details (places are still available!)

There are aid stations every 25 miles, and you are only allowed support at these aid stations....nothing in between.  No buddy runners, no being spoon-fed hot ravioli every 6 miles (like I was when I did the GUCR last year), and no randomly jumping in a car to warm up/be sick/sleep.

On the positive side, I'll be able to eat my own body weight of food, provided I can carry it (or starve until the next aid station) and I won't need to pay out good money on mind-altering drugs as apparently the hallucinations by the second and third night are pretty extreme.

On the negative side, here is a link to the pictures of the finishers feet from 2013..  http://www.flickr.com/photos/98532584@N05/sets/72157634531765874/

So what do I need your help for?  Well, it's very simple.  I want to get as many phonecalls as possible over the last 2 or 3 days as possible, including the over-nights, with the aim of keeping me awake.  This means phoning me up, and making conversation (I suspect I won't be very coherent towards the end) to keep me awake/motivated/amused/sane.  I honestly don't know whether I will be able to talk back much, so I'm relying on you to talk about what was on telly last night, what you're having for dinner, your crazy neighbour, and probably a bit about running too (but perhaps not too much, eh?).  You may only get grunts in reply, but you may get a monologue from me about how much I hate running/not sleeping/ children/ canals /coffee/running/walking/my feet.  Or you may have to console me when I start to cry like a little girl.  Or phone the police when I fall in the canal.  Who knows??

It doesn't matter if you don't know me - I'm pretty confident I won't be 'with it' so you could say you're the queen and I'll be quite happy.  You just need to be able to make a little conversation, and then put the phone down (thiking, I'm going to do that next year!).

I'm thinking at the moment, that I'd like volunteers for calling me overnight (say 11pm to 6am) as I will schedule people in for every hour to ensure I get a reasonably spread chain of calls.  For the rest of the daytime,  I will just have a list of people that will call me throughout the day, but it would be good at this stage to have some idea of how many people.  Although I havn't really got my head around the details, I may ask you to put something on twitter (if you can) or facebook to say how I'm doing/feeling, but I havn't really got that far yet.

So, the request...can you commit to phone me sometime on Thursday 25th June, Fri, Sat, Sun, perhaps saying a 3 hour slot that you will try to phone in?  If you are really mad, can you be one of the people that will call me overnight on Thu, Fri, Sat night?

Could you send me an email....to bobwild90@gmail.com ....or reply to this forum message.  Include your email address if possible, and I will put together a 'newsletter' for all the volunteers  :)

I should stress, guys, please don't think you're signing up to anything serious here.  It's not a problem if you can't make the call, or if I'm not very chatty.  I'm purely speculating that having a friendly conversation might help when I am at my lowest point and want to cut my own feet off with a penknife.

Thanks for reading this,
Bob

P.s. If anyone that doesn't have anything better to do wants to come along to the aid stations for the last few days, to watch me fall apart, they are more than welcome.  It may give you a bit of insight into ultra-running, it would help me to know that someone is up ahead with a hot meal, and it would mean that my long-suffering wife would not have to worry quite so much (haha).  Obviously, I would pay any/all expenses.  Just a thought!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:15:26 PM by Bob Wild »

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
Re: Can you give up 10 minutes of your time for a conversation with me?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:59:37 AM »
Hi Bonkers

Mark and I will take up the challenge to ring you - I think you have Mark's contact details

Bob Wild

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:35:33 AM »
That's great,  thanks to you both.
I'll be in touch
bob

Steve Tong

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 01:40:44 PM »
Saw the photos....nutter!

Will pop you an email Wildman. Best of luck.

Steve

dickersonj

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 08:32:19 PM »
Oh, go on then. Email me the newsletter please. john@leafleteers.com