Author Topic: EA membership  (Read 9393 times)

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
EA membership
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:38:07 PM »
£13 for 2016 ?  I'm sure it only used to be a fiver or is my memory failing me ?  I won't be paying it as will need to enter 7 events a year to get value for money and don't tend to do that many any more.

Apart from the discounted race entry is there any other benefit to being a member of EA ?

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
Re: EA membership
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »
Tell me about it - I have emailed them urgently for clarification as worryingly reading the blurb it appears to look like you can't wear a club vest unless you are EA affiliated.  Watch this space!

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »
Hmmmm - just had the following response from Andi Drake at EA

"While road runners will still be able to compete unattached, athletes, who wish to represent their club (and claim the registered athlete discount on entry fees) in road running events, will need to be registered."

Hope that clarifies the situation for unaffiliated members of Thanet Roadrunners AC.

So EA are going to make us pay twice if we wish to represent our club!!  >:( >:(

Tanya Edwards

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »
EA have just got worse! Not a lot of benefit in joining for the average club runner as you have to do over 7 races to get value for money. I think its disgusting if I have to be affiliated to be able to wear my club vest.
This year they reduced the number of club places we are entitled to for London marathon to 1. the same entitlement as a club with only 1 member affiliated (over 18). How is that fair when we have nearly 90 affiliated adults?
Maybe if we all individually complain to them it might make a difference? Probably not..... but worth a try?

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »
Here's the Road Running contact person - Andi Drake

adrake@englandathletics.org 

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 09:29:41 PM »
Yes that doesn't sound good at all.  I'm not up on all the rules but does TRRAC need to be affiliated to EA ?

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:50 AM »
Sadly we do Andy - it is all to do with insurance cover for our events and being able to take groups out running etc and to allow track competition for the juniors

Sadly EA seem to be taking the line that road runners are an easy target to raise cash >:(

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 05:27:02 PM »
Andy, Sharon, Tanya etc.

I have asked them if you can run in club vest but pay the full fee. Andi Drake sent me the paragraph from the message and I replied saying it was ambiguous. He/She then buck-passed, told me to write to the contact address on their website, which I did, no reply so far. I know Sharon has also emailed several people with no response, it really is outrageous. Yes, Andy, you are right, it wasn't that long ago it was £5 then they put it up to £10 then £12 and now £13 which is an increase of 160% in about five years. They have also, I think, doubled the Club affiliation fee from £50 to £100 in the same time. I am sure it was only £50 when I was Treasurer. They have got us over a barrel, we can huff and puff all we like but I suspect it is a case of TOUGH!

Bill

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 08:48:29 AM »
I got the same reply from them.  I am thinking, if people feel strongly about it, they can still be a member of TRR but run as unaffiliated in events ?  That would be a way around it whilst still belonging to the best running club in the world !

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 10:37:27 AM »
Andy

Of course anybody can run unaffiliated. I think the main point is that if they don't allow you to put your club down on the entry form it will not come up in the results. More importantly, it will mean those runners will not score points in GP races. Take yesterday for example, you have probably scored a bundle of points for the club, but if that race had been a week later you would have scored zero unless you were affiliated. There is nothing to stop an unaffiliated runner wearing whatever vest they want in a race, so we could all continue to wear club tops whether we were affiliated or not but only those affiliated would score. It is just a bloody mess.

Bill

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »
Another example of EA's greed in seeing road runners as a cash cow!  Hopefully we will get some clarification this week. 

Bill Wright

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »
Sharon

The big problem is getting the clubs to act in unison. We are probably in a different position to some of the other clubs who are more competitively minded, it won't affect them at all apart from the extra £1 over last year. We are an all inclusive club, a fact I am proud of, and we welcome folk who just want to run for fun and keep fit. It was one of the reasons I joined Thanet rather than, for example Canterbury Harriers, who are a lot closer to me. You only need to see the difference in the number of tops we have at a race compared to Maidstone, Paddock Wood, Dartford etc. To be brutally frank, I doubt if England Athletics give a toss what Thanet Roadrunners think of them, they are holding all the cards!

Bill

Ian Lockyer

• Committee
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 09:56:22 AM »
Sorry for the delay..just did my membership online...but no EA membership this year...don't do enough races and run just for fun.

If I enter any races, I will wear my club vest even though I wont be accredited to being a member/club championships.

Doesn't matter though...proud to be part of the club and a TRACCIE!

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »
Its a bit of a joke really - I spent several hours doing the EA affiliations at the weekend and it says "if the club has not paid its £100 affiliation fee then individual members' affiliations will not be valid" or something like that - talk about making money for nothing.  I would love to know exactly what they are spending the money on! >:(

Andy Stevens

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 12:48:26 PM »
Ditto Ian.  No EA membership for me either this year.  I don't do enough races and think they are taking the p*ss.  So I will still wear the vest but will officially be entered as "unaffiliated" in events and won't be in club champs etc.