Author Topic: Race In Folkestone  (Read 1615 times)

jenkinsg

Race In Folkestone
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »
Hi everyone in TRR. Thought I’d let you know about a race I did last month. It was a Folkestone to Sandwich Bay relay. A closed event ran by Deal Tri. A Russian student friend of mine asked me to make up a team that she wanted to enter in this relay. The most enthusiastic member of the team was my student friend, who had just completed her first marathon in Spain, with a time of 4h 10m. A second member was a lady called Anna, not a runner but a keen cyclist. Third member was a chap (O/60) who had been injured for several months and this was his first race back. Making up the team, yours truly who didn’t know anything about the course and was destined to go wrong. As you can see from my description, we had the weakest team! Consequently, we were the first off in the stagger. I had first leg (two miles) didn’t get lost and handed over a decent lead. We kept up this lead till my second leg (three miles) and I managed to go off course twice! However, I felt pretty good and by the time I got to St Margaret’s Bay we had a lead of about seven minutes. Alla, my Russian friend was getting really excited as she thought we were going to win! Unfortunately for us Deal Tri had a very strong women’s team and they had their best runner on the next leg. She cut down our lead to just two minutes. This stayed the same till the next leg and we had Anna on the last leg. She did her best but we were passed by two teams on this last leg. Never mind! We finished third overall and received some very nice glass trophies in a presentation/meal after the race at the Chequers Pub. It was a very pleasant event and I was particularly pleased with my own run (No knee pains!)

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
Re: Race In Folkestone
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »
Hi Glyn - cheers for this! Sounds like a great day out - I take it you've been out of action with dodgy knees - hope they're on the mend now!