Author Topic: Friendy Lot the Thanet Roadrunners...Whitstable 10k  (Read 2573 times)

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
  • Nenikékamen Athens, Veni Vidi Vici Roma.Gorblimey
Friendy Lot the Thanet Roadrunners...Whitstable 10k
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
Wearing My Thanet Roadrunners colours today resulted in meeting Carol, Sharon, Bill, Rob (I know from Parkrun) Darren I know from his sport science study work also another nice gentleman in a red running top whom i spoke to again back at race HQ (sorry I forgot your name!). Wow what a friendly bunch and nice to start to put names to faces, a big thank you for the shouts of "come on Thanet Roadrunners " around the course it was nice to see a big smile and encouragement from Terry (Brightwell) (all Park runned out I imagine!)

The 10k run from my perspective...
Slow start in traffic but a swift overtake on the r/hand footpath downhill saw me take a good 30 scalps (gravity favours the round and heavy!) I tried hard to find shelter from the wind from larger runners and thought my prayers had been answered when a big powerful Darren pulled alongside with words of encouragement but his pace was well beyond mine and my right Achilles was now singing away ...you’ll be sorry...ouch.....Hampton pier could not have come at a better time, hoist the main sail and head for home, the wind on my back had me feeling better quicker faster...I could see Rob in our team colours was just ahead but a faller on the home straight blocked the path... a sprint for the line was only good for one more place! Mr Garmins finest states I made it home in 52.39 which is about a minute off my PB....oh happy days!..........

Nice to meet the Thanet Roadrunners.........

Rick......

Rick Ryder

• Club Member
Re: Friendy Lot the Thanet Roadrunners...Whitstable 10k
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
sorry it was not a "Rob" but Jerry Kelk  in my sights but his place in the race was made of unobtanium......(for me!) wel done well run Jerry,

looking at the results..... wow Frank Flint...awesome sir.....

Rick Ryder

• Club Member

Sharon Foster

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
It was great to meet you Rick - wearing the TRAC vest makes it much easier to spot fellow club members.  I see from the results there was a TRAC lady not far in front of us but I don't think she could have been wearing club colours.  Next time I'll bring one of our flags to put up so everyone will know where to meet up for team pics!

bakerd

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »
I gave it everything I had in this, my first race outing since the London Marathon last year.... It's amazing how amnesia affects the brain as I told myself to enter this "flat as a pancake" 10km but how I'd forgotten that little rise (plus the wind) around 3km on the grass. I'm sure I went through my whole repetoire of obscenities to myself getting to the top.. and making up new ones.

It was all about keeping the TRACCIES at bay for me. Having started alongside Bill (Well done on another PB), gradually reeled in Rick, only to be overtaken by Jerry, my main aim was to keep him in my sights. My whole PhD approach to hydration saved my bacon today as Jerry stopped for a drink at the turn and I didn't reclaiming the lead in my personal crusade and just keeping going as hard as I could wind assisted.

The end result was a 51:58 which is my fastest for 2 years and is only a minute behind my 2005 PB of 50:51, so a couple more months redressing the muscle to lard ratio and we'll have another go!!!

Once again, Well done Rick... you looked fairly comfortable when I passed you around 4km and you were still less than a minute back. So well done sir!!! As for big & powerful.... One of those words sounds about the truth :D

Also, well done to Debs and her personal pacer JFDI and Alex on your PB's and Donna and her personal crusade against the wind tunnel. Also welcome back to Adrian after your illness. Just remember... Rule number 1: Listen to your body sir!!!!

Finally, well done to any other TRACCIES who I've yet to meet who took part and have yet to rope into my studies..... I mean give the opportunity to really give yourself the most scientific fitness test available...... :o