Author Topic: Sandwich 10k  (Read 2048 times)

jonshrub

Sandwich 10k
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »
Thought I would throw in my review for the Sandwich 10k from today.

Hot day...
Was really up for a good run today and wanted to improve on my PB.  All thoughts of that were quashed in the first 1k when I ended up starting at the back of the field only to find the first 1k was a single file gravel track and I had to virtually walk it due to the congestion.  You know you are not getting a PB when the first 1k takes you 7 mins.. :(

Once free on the one small section of road, I did catch up my time a little and got round in 54mins (was hoping for sub 50).  Course was rough, running in uneven tractor ruts and gravel paths most of the time but the weather was great and the views beautiful. 

Possibly wouldn't do this one again as it doesn't suit me running on dirt, but an enjoyable morning none the less and my second 10k under my belt.  :)

danrichards

Re: Sandwich 10k
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »
Cheers for the review Jon. First K sounds like a nightmare, badly organised?
At least you've set yourself a PB for that particular race, and could come back next year and smash it.. 

jonshrub

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:18:36 PM »
Update.

Received an email linking to the results and the organisers have said they will be reviewing the course for next year due to runners comments on the day.  I shall probably give it another go..

Now to look forward to the H/B 10k and Deal Dinosaur in July. Getting quite addictive this running lark  :o

Bill Wright

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:18:18 PM »
Early bottle-necks in races can be a right nightmare. The Canterbury 10 mile in January has a narrow path quite early on. They moved the start a few hundred yards back up the road and that helped to ease it a little. I have just booked up the Herne Bay 10k on 13th July. If you want a sub 50 PB give that one a go.