Author Topic: The Paralympics  (Read 2470 times)

Bill Wright

• Club Member
The Paralympics
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »
I am very lucky in that I work from home and have been able to watch quite a lot of the Paralympics. When I first did it I admit it was with a certain amount of sympathy, pity if you like, for the disabilities of the athletes. Like a lot of people I started out seeing what they didn't have rather than what they did; what they couldn't do rather than what they could.

It did not take me long to see the error of my ways. These guys don't need an adjective in front of their name; they are not paraplegic athletes or disabled athletes they are ATHLETES. I have watched blind guys running 100m in under 10.5 seconds; blind runners attached by a wristband to a guide running 200m in under 23 seconds. The blind long jump champion was about 2m short of Greg Rutherford's distance. One of the favourites for the marathon is a double amputee who has a PB of 2h47m

I have found the whole Games so far exciting, well presented by C4 and well organised. I think Britain has delivered two sets of games for the nation to be proud of. We have shown the world how to do it and it is particularly good that the Paralympics has been given exactly the same treatment, the same support, the same size of crowds as the Olympics.

These two sets of games are giving us a whole raft of sporting heroes and role models for all kids to aspire to, able-bodied or not. I would like to hope that some young girl who suffers from dwarfism is watching Ellie Simmonds and saying "I could do that Mum".  Some young man in a wheelchair out there is destined to be next David Weir.

Let us hope that the success of these games will carry on and that part of the legacy of 2012 will be an increased level of support and exposure for athletes of all ability levels.

Ed Heardman

• Forum Member
Re: The Paralympics
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:59:06 AM »

completely agree Bill. Although I didn't get to see as much as I'd have liked, what I did was fantastic, and truly inspirational.

Sharon Foster

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
They were amazing.  We had tickets for the stadium last Wednesday morning and saw David Weir qualify for the 800m and then as a bonus saw his medal ceremony for the 1500m.  We also saw road cycling at Brands Hatch on Thursday - totally inspirational ;D

Only wish I could get as motivated!

Bill Wright

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
So says the lady who completed the Marshside 50 a couple of months ago!!!