Author Topic: a year as a thanet roadrunner  (Read 2889 times)

John Hunt

• Club Member
a year as a thanet roadrunner
« on: September 21, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
I have just reached a year as a member of thanet roadrunners ac in which time I've achieved things I'd only previously dreamed of, I've probably learned more about myself in the last year than i have in the previous 32, I've met some great people alot of which i now count as friends. What i love about this club is no matter who you are or what you're ability we are all treated equally whether we do 6 minute miles or 16 minute miles we're all here for the same thing to run! (and apparently drink copious amounts of ale) i guess what i want to say is thanks everyone at the club for making me firstly feeling welcome and secondly for making me feel part of the team and thirdly all the kind comments,advice and encouragement that have helped turn me from a bit of a lazy fatty to someone who can now embarrassingly call himself an ultra runner lol(ok an ultra run/walker)

Heres to the next year!

John

Sharon Foster

• Forum Member
Re: a year as a thanet roadrunner
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »
John you are an inspiration to us all!  It is amazing how you have progressed and I know that I have achieved things I never would have thought possible because I belong to this fantastic club  :)

Bill Wright

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »
Likewise. Without it wishing to become a mutual back-slapping thread, I can honestly say that the thing that stands out for me about TRAC, and in fact running in general, is the inclusive nature of it and the camraderie. When I first started doing races the thing that struck me was the way folk applauded every runner home from first to last and how fast runners would walk back along the course encouraging the slower runners home. I was never actively involved in any form of sport until I took up running.

John Hunt

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »
Bill i agree 100% as a newbie to racing and running in general it actually shocked me the support and encouragement i got from not just club members but from other runners who i was essentially competing against giving me encouragement even if it's 'well done mate' or 'keep going' as a former sunday league football player it was such an alien feeling to be helped by people in direct competition with me as apposed to people screaming abuse and trying to cripple me on the football pitch.
Even in races I've struggled in I've had runners stop and check if I'm ok i even had one help me stretch out my legs when i had cramp unbelievable!  This guy had never met me before and is quite happy to potentially ruin his race to help me but that just sums up the running community as a whole

Andy Stevens

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:13:20 PM »
Your highlight must be the White Cliffs challenge John  ;D ;D ;D so much fun.

John Hunt

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
You know what andy i think you could be right ;D